In 1947, Wain-Roy® invented the world’s first all-hydraulic backhoe. Now, you can see that original backhoe:
Wain-Roy Inc. was named after founders Vaino J. Holopainen and Roy E. Handy Jr. who designed and built the first all-hydraulic backhoe and digger in Hubbardston, Massachusetts. It was patented in 1948.
The original backhoe, with Serial No. 1, was sold in October 1948 to the Connecticut Light and Power Company for $1,090. In 2020, Woods is taking it on tour to our top industry trade shows. When not on tour, the original backhoe resides with the family of Roy E. Handy, Jr.
Pictured below, left is Vaino J. Holopainen on the first all-hydraulic backhoe and digger.
Over the years, Wain-Roy Inc. became a construction industry leader in quick change coupler systems. Woods Equipment purchased the company in 1997 and we continue to expand the product offering. Wain-Roy® buckets and couplers remain top sellers and it’s one of our best-in-class brands. In addition, we have continued the legacy of innovating backhoe attachments for tractors. See our line of backhoes for the agricultural and landscaping industry here.
Many have copied, but no one can imitate the original quality, innovation and performance built into every Wain-Roy® product since the first backhoe in 1947.
Images courtesy of Lee A. Horton, co-author with David C. Willens, of “Wain-Roy and the Invention of the Backhoe”.